Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 3 in BRASIL -- March 10, 2014

Olá, familia!  Tudo bom?

It's only been 4 days since my last email, so I'll keep this one brief and spare you :)

When it's not raining, it's HOT!  Holy cow... maybe it's just humid... but I always feel like my body is melting.  My 1oz tube of sunscreen is totally depleted and I think I might get skin cancer!  Hopefully I can find some Brazilian stuff to help!

EVERYTHING IS SO FOREIGN.  Haha the grocery stores here sell only milk (NOT like milk in America...), deli stuff, and junk food!  But it all tastes really good!  Everything in Brazil (or at least Ponta Grossa) seems 10-30 years behind the States.  For example, our phones are like those first Nokia cell phones we had in the late 90's, and all the cars and houses are just... different!  When I show people our family/house, they CANNOT believe that we live in a place like that.  No house has gas lines or water heaters, or dependable electricity.

ANYWAY... Yesterday I got to give a talk in sacrament meeting! HAHAHAHAHA I bet the Brazilians were CRINGING in their seats... Thankfully it was only a 5 minute talk.  The language is still a huge stumbling block, but slowly and surely I'm having more "A-ha!" moments and starting to understand better.

I LOVE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.  I love that no matter what language you speak or country you're in, it is the SAME, and you can always feel the Spirit.
We walk SO much here!  It's pretty great.  We eat only junk food because they don't believe in dinner here (only lunch!), but I'm pretty sure I've lost weight.
Sorry for the lack of pictures and info this week, but more will come!
I KNOW that this gospel is true.  I know that through Christ and His Atonement, we can ALL return to the glory and peace and presence of our loving Heavely Father.  This is a gospel of happy endings!
Com MUITO amor,
Elder Jason Allred

No comments:

Post a Comment