Friday, July 19, 2013

5th letter from the MTC

Hello family!  HOLY COW this will be my last time emailing you from the MTC!  Bittersweet.  I DON'T have my re-assignment yet, but I'm about 90% it will come today, and they will let me email you and let you know where I'll be going!  It will be so fun being able to serve a "mini-mission" somewhere here in the States.  :)

Each passing day, this whole 'mission' thing gets more and more real!  Yesterday, we had what is called, "In-field Orientation" all day long for the wave of missionaries leaving the coming week.  There were about 500 missionaries in that meeting.  At one point, in front of EVERYONE, the person in charge said, "Do we have a Jason Allred here?  Go to room A113 to collect your prize at the next break.".  My heart started pounding.  'Oh no!' I thought.... 'Could it be my visa??? I'm not ready yet Heavenly Father!!'  For the next hour I couldn't focus on ANYTHING because I had no idea what he meant by 'prize', and a few people throughout the week had received their visas.  Turns out, I just needed to sign a legal paper for Mom :)  PHEW!  I was really relieved to be honest! 
 
I've grown SO close to my companions and district.  I'm really going to miss them.  I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with them!  They've made my stay here at the MTC magical.  Here are some of the Spiritual highlights from my week:
 
- When faced with a challenge, temptation, weakness, or burden, we need to ask, "What does Heavenly Father want me to learn from this?"  I have such a testimony that Heavenly Father is keenly aware of our desires and our efforts, and we are given every trial, temptation, whatever for a specific reason - to learn and grow so that we can become more like Him and through utilizing the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
 
- Here's something pretty cool:  Flip to 1 Nephi chapter 1.  Read verses: 1, 5, 6, 8, 11, 18, 19, 20, and write the main idea or keyword from each of those verses.  Who elses story does that sound like?  :)  I love the scriptures!
 
- During "In-field" the phrase that kept coming up and really stuck with me was that "Heavenly Father is preparing the people you will teach right now to receive you and the message of the Restored Gospel". Gosh, isn't that amazing?  I kept almost crying.  I know that little things and big things are happening in the lives of those I will teach in Brazil and those I'll teach in the states that will change their heart or in some way prepare them to receive the blessing of the Restored Gospel in their lives.  It is so beautiful that Heavenly Father sees the bigger picture and through small and simple means make great things come to pass.
 
I've attached a picture of my best friend here at the MTC (the dictionary ;)) a reeeeallly attractive picture of my companions and me in front of the temple, me and sister Swasey, and a picture of what I eat EVERY morning - Grape Nuts, a banana, two hard-boiled eggs, and a glass of milk.
 
 


 
I love you all so much!  The Gospel is TRUE!  It is so personal and beautiful and glorious.  LIVE for miracles.  Pray for them!  I know they're real.
 
I'll send out another email later today (hopefully) detailing my re-assignment!
 
Com MUITO amor,
 
Elder Jason Allred

No comments:

Post a Comment